The Art of Racing In the Rain by Garth Stein

Labels: , ,


A story of human life from the perspective of one of its most humble creatures. Enzo is a special dog, who dreams of the day when his soul will become human. His owner Denny is a master racer. This is a delightful tale about how to live life to the fullest. We learn about the struggles one family goes through and how his determination helps him achieves his dreams.

The metaphor of a race as life and the presence of driving, alone is beautiful. Never did I think I could learn so much from cars. But in actuality, life is indeed a race. It is about making it around those corners and knowing that everything is a result of your actions. It is about knowing that there is no shame in losing a race but shame in not racing because of your fears.

The story can be pretty heavy at times. The struggle one man and one dog go through to retain their rights and pursue their goals is nothing short of intense, but definitely worthwhile for those of us who know that two souls meant for each other will never truly be separated.

I found myself struck by some of the beautiful lessons Enzo had to teach me about myself and about life. About how fear can get in the way of our greatest journeys. About how we are our own worst enemies, we are our own inner demons. And how the race in front of us has been made by ourselves and if we have any struggles to get back on the track its do to our own actions, the only thing stopping us from getting back on is ourselves.

Yes Enzo is a wise little dog, we can learn a lot from our canine companions...if only we are open to listen.
1 comments:

I loved this tender,moving story. It was cleverly written. a little cliche at the end, perhaps, but i cried my eyes out i was so engaged with the characters, especially Enzo. Rates up there with The Help as one of my recent favorites.


Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a girl just looking to be the very best, like no one ever was.

About.

Im just sitting on the shelf :)

It's Sexy to Share.

Followers

Blog Archive


Twitter

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Ashley has read 0 books toward her goal of 23 books.
hide
cream_my_jeans trophy card